1. Please DO NOT pet the horses in any outside pens or indoor stalls. Some horses on the property are privately owned and are not part of the HETRA herd.
2. Please do not arrive at the barn before you are scheduled, there must be a HETRA instructor, Staff Member, or Barn Leader on site when volunteers, students or guests arrive. If one of these individuals is not on site when you arrive please wait in your vehicle until they arrive. For insurance purposes we also cannot have visitors at the HETRA facilities when there is not a staff member on site.
3. Do Not enter a stall or outside pen unless asked to do so by a HETRA staff member or Barn Leader.
4. ONLY the barn leader or certified gold horse leaders will be allowed to get horses from the outside pens.
5. No individual under the age of 18 is allowed in the outside pens.
6. You should not be back in the stall area of the barn or in the outside pens UNLESS you have been asked by an instructor or barn leader to complete a specific task in this area - once this has been completed please return to the waiting area in front of the arena.
7. NEVER sit, kneel or lay on the ground near a horse.
8. We ask that you do not take cell phones into the arena with you, and all phones are turned to silent or vibrate when in the barn.
9. Please only use HETRA tack and equipment and always return tack, equipment, etc to its appropriate place.
10. Always clean up after yourself and any horse you are working with (sweep up any hair, manure, and throw away any trash).
11. All riders during a HETRA riding session are required to wear approved safety helmets (this includes instructors).
12. Please do not feed any horses any treats. Treating the horses tends to promote biting, also some of the horses are on special diets, and treats can be detrimental to their health. Please do not allow the horses to lick your hands this encourages biting. Please do NOT pet the horses on their heads or faces - this is a very personal area for the horses and can make them crabby.
13. When approaching a horse always consider the horse’s limited field of vision. Horses cannot see directly behind or in front of them without moving their head. Always approach a horse at the shoulder, speak to the horse as you approach and then extend your hand and pat them on the neck or shoulder. When moving around the horse, place a hand on their hip as you slowly move around them allows them to know where you are.
14. Avoid sudden movements when around the horse. This includes removing coats, raising arms suddenly, running, jumping climbing, etc. Horses can spook easily, please keep this in mind at all times when around the horses.
15. Please Do NOT reach into or pet a horse if the stall front on the horse’s stall is up. This is an indicator that the horse may BITE or they are in time out.
16. Only HETRA Instructors are allowed to put bridles on the horses.
17. Please do not bring any dogs or other animals to the barn area. (If you have a service animal please notify a HETRA staff member)
18. The cats are cute and fun to play with but remember they can bite and scratch. Playing with the cats is done at your own risk. Please monitor any children during their interaction with the cats.
19. All children and volunteers under the age of 12 must be DIRECTLY monitored by an adult at all times while on the property.
20. DO NOT enter any other buildings on the property.
21. If you are not directly involved with a session please keep all activities and conversations to the designated waiting areas or check with the barn leader or schedule keeper as to additional tasks that need to be done around the barn. It is important to keep noise and conversation to a minimum when lessons are being conducted as it can be very distracting for the students and horses.
22. The session instructor is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the session from the time the first horse is taken out of the stall until the last one is put away. Please listen and follow all directions given by the session instructor, and follow all safety rules outlined during your time at the barn. Please also be aware of all situations around you and report any unsafe situation to the session instructor or barn leader immediately.
23. HETRA Volunteer & Guest Dismissal Policy: HETRA reserves the right to dismiss a guest or volunteer from the facility and from the program if their behavior is putting themselves, a student, staff, other volunteers or the horse’s mental or physical health in jeopardy. The HETRA instructor in charge at the time of the incident will review the behavior with the volunteer and determine the level of intervention necessary. The level of intervention could include a verbal or written warning or immediate dismissal from the HETRA facility and program. Physical, emotional, mental or sexual abuse by a person at the HETRA facility will not be tolerated and will result in immediate dismissal from the HETRA facility. Alcohol consumption by a volunteer prior to a session is not allowed. A volunteer smelling of alcohol will not be allowed to assist with that night’s session.
These rules are in place for everyone’s safety. Please follow these rules at all times while at the facility.Anyone not following these rules will be asked to leave the facility.
My Family and/or I have read the barn rules and agree to follow them at all times while at the facility.
By putting your name in the box below you are consenting to the above statement.