The Fellowship is designed to assist veterans advance their careers in agriculture. Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000 and are used to purchase equipment or supplies that will support your farm business. The application process is extremely competitive and submitting an application does not constitute a guarantee of being selected to receive funding.
It will be helpful to have the following information available during the process: military service history, educational background, farming history, business and financial plans, short term and long term goals, and reference letters. The application process can take 1-2 hours to complete. You will be able to save your application and return for later completion before the deadline. It is strongly recommended that you write your responses in a Word document on your computer, and save the document often. Copy and paste the text over to the application. This will prevent losing information in the case of a technological malfunction.
- Applicants must have served in the U.S. Armed Forces, currently be on active-duty, or serving in the military reserve/National Guard.
- Applicants must be members of FVC (you can join for free at farmvetco.org)
- Applicants must have an honorable discharge (other characters of discharge may be accepted on a case-by-case basis). Active duty or reserve members need a command support letter.
- Applicants must have an agricultural business in operation, and submit a business plan.
- Applicants must be willing to fully participate in the Fellowship Program, which includes reporting progress, mentoring aspiring veteran farmers, and the possibility of representing FVC at events.
- Applicants must have a desire to continue to serve others and make a positive
impact on the farmer veteran community.
Each applicant will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Farm Training/Experience and or Transferable skills.
- Personal Investment in the farm business.
- Strategic funding request that will help the business grow in the long term.
- Vision and goals for the future of the business.
- Community involvement.
Documents Required: (uploaded in a digital file format as a word document, PDF or JPEG)
- Documentation of military service. All discharged service
members must provide their most recent DD-214 that includes character of service (Member 4). Active, Reservist, or National
Guard applicants must provide a command support letter.
- A resume, which includes the following information: education, work history, public service
history, and awards earned.
- A business plan, outlining the business you currently operate and future business goals.
- The application will require responses to essay questions
exploring the following areas: military and public service, motivation and
experiences; education and career ambitions in agriculture.
- Letter of Recommendation, (personal or professional).
- Purchases are always made through third party vendors and must be directly related to building your agricultural business. If awarded a Fellowship, you must follow FVC's purchasing procedures.
- As part of your role as a Fellow, we may ask you to become a peer mentor to other farmer veterans and/or become an ambassador of the Farmer Veteran Coalition to
assist in promoting our mission.
- You will be expected to provide periodic business and progress reports when requested.
- You will be expected to maintain a high moral character while
representing FVC in the community.
In addition to funding, Fellows receive:
- An invitation to the National Stakeholders Conference
- Access to peer mentors, legal assistance, business
planning experts, and the farmer veteran community
- Opportunities to become a peer mentor for other farmer veterans
- A profile story featuring your agricultural business on the Farmer Veteran Coalition website, social media and
newsletters- including links to your website and Facebook page if desired.