Call For Submissions
San Francisco, CA
“Just as we are”
Youth Speaks first presented Queeriosity in 1999, the brainchild of two young members of the organization. It is a performance showcase that creates a safe(r) space for queer youth who are reshaping the contours of our conversations about sexuality, identity, and community. Queer youth and their allies come together and declare themselves present and unafraid.
QUEERIOSITY 2017: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The theme for 2017 is “Just as we are.” Queeriosity will take place July 20th, 2017.
This showcase is for queer writers planning to attend the 20th Annual Brave New Voices International Poetry Festival, July 19-22, 2017 or Bay Area youth 13-19.
Available July 20, 2017 to perform in the Bay Area
April 15, 2017
Interested performers should submit:
- 1-2 poems to be considered for the showcase.
- Poem length cannot exceed three minutes and thirty seconds.
- You will only perform one poem.
- A brief 50 word or less bio
- A response to the following question: What is your contribution to the we?
FRAMEWORK AND GUIDING QUESTIONS
Just as you are, you have a story. For centuries, the word “queer” has been used pejoratively, casting a cloud over our identities and orientations. The term has since been reclaimed in an effort to affirm a broader umbrella across the spectrum.
- How do you identify?
- What places do you find refuge from a world that misunderstands you? Misgenders you?
- What part(s) of yourself did you once grapple with but now love (or still struggle with and learning to love)?
- Who’s on your cheerleading team? What are their pom poms made of?
- What are your mantras and self-care rituals?
As curators, we want to know how you are working to heal.
- Where is your story in this current moment of your journey?
- What does your heart say about you?
E. Lynn Harris writes, “My heart protects me, shields me from things I can’t see or lack the courage to face. My heart knows who I am and who I’ll turn out to be.”
- What does that voice pulsing inside sound like?
- What words do you hold nestled within those four chambers?
The tone of this voice can be joyous, confused, imaginative, angry - just write as you are
We are looking for both high quality performance and compelling personal narrative. How can telling your story transform us collectively? How have your experiences shaped your thinking? We want to hear what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, and what you’re questioning.
The submission form will close April 15th, 2017. There will be a second round of judging where finalists will perform their piece in-person (if in the Bay Area) or digitally to be chosen for the final lineup. Selected performers will be notified in early May. This showcase is for queer writers planning to attend the 20th annual Brave New Voices International Poetry Festival in San Francisco, CA July 19-22, 2017 or San Francisco Bay Area youth.