Before the slams start this summer in Houston, we are fortunate to be able to spend a day engaging in workshops together. On Thursday, July 19th, the youth writing and performance workshops will be presented concurrently with Brave New Leaders.
Please submit your proposals for a youth writing workshop or a Brave New Leaders workshop using this form. Please note: if you submit proposals for both workshop spaces, we will follow up with you to determine which of the two spaces we would like to feature your workshop in as you can only present in one or the other.
- As a critical component of the Brave New Voices Festival, these writing and performance workshops are intended to empower young people, to expand their vision of how their craft can be used, and to offer them concrete strategies for using it.
- There will be 15 workshops selected in total, each will last for approximately 75 minutes and will be presented twice - back to back.
- What we're looking for: curriculum centered on developing forms and techniques for spoken word writing and performance; curriculum that emphasizes social justice issues, and/or curriculum that focuses on building a professional career as an artist.
Brave New Leaders
- A unique and invaluable opportunity for all of the coaches, chaperones and other staff from BNV Network organizations/ programs around the globe to share and develop their own professional and leadership skills through curated workshop sessions.
- The program will be a combination of large and small group sessions, each will last for approximately 75 minutes and will be presented just once.
- What we're looking for: your own best practices in the field! Topics could include fundraising; social media marketing; partnering with schools; curriculum design; navigating and influencing changing school cultures; recruiting, training and retaining strong teaching artists, etc.
All applications must be submitted by Friday, May 25th.
Unfortunately, Youth Speaks cannot offer compensation for presenters, nor can we cover any travel or lodging costs.
If you have any questions, please email Cassie Newman at email@example.com or Janae Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.