The submission deadline is Monday, November 13th, 2017 by 5PM EST.
The Society of Interventional Radiology Resident, Fellow, & Student (RFS) Section collects interesting cases on an annual basis. The purpose of collecting these cases is to:
- Encourage interest in IR by selecting three cases for presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting. The winner will be selected by a panel of prominent IR attendings.
- To provide educational resources to all SIR In-Training members by publishing cases to the RFS webpage: http://rfs.sirweb.org. SIR RFS Figure 1 account, and Facebook.
Case submissions are open to any and all medical students, residents, and fellows in-training planning on pursuing a career as an interventional radiologist.
Guidelines for Submission
Clinical case submissions will be uploaded with the form below. All submissions must be received by Monday, November 13th, 2017 by 5PM EST.
The case you submit must be original work and not previously published. You may submit more than one case to the case competition.
When preparing your submission:
- Please use a predesigned Microsoft PowerPoint template:
There is no slide number limit, however keep in mind that if selected for oral presentation, you will be limited to a 10 minute presentation.
- Each case should include at least one attending who has reviewed your case.
- Please annotate relevant imaging findings on your images.
- To make the presentation interactive, you are highly encouraged to include several multiple choice questions with answers during the presentation. We encourage you to look at examples of presentations on the SIR RFS webpage: http://rfs.sirweb.org/wordpressnstall/clinical-education/case-of-the-month/
- Please see last year's finalists presented during the annual meeting:
- If you are using videos in your presentation, also provide backup fixed images, in addition to the video file.
- Please include references or further reading in a conclusion slide(s). If selected for online publication, the presentation will be converted into an interactive pdf format (please visit http://rfs.sirweb.org/wordpressnstall/clinical-education/case-of-the-month/ for examples).
There is no size limit. If you are unable to upload your complete presentation below (20MB limit), email your additional slides/files to email@example.com after submitting this form, making sure to reference your case submission.
Criteria for Selection
The submitted power points will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Case history is clearly defined.
- Clinical labs and radiology used are clearly explained. Any unusual test performed include the laboratory's ranges of normal values.
- Significance of the problem under investigation and rationale for reporting the case is clearly indicated. Uniqueness of the case study is clearly explained.
- Clear explanation as to why the intervention was chosen.
- Clear explanation of the intervention.
- Discussion of follow-up plans.
- Teaching points are clearly defined.
- Discussion of the literature supporting the intervention.
Presentation and Media Title
Please make sure to title your files appropriately before submission:
Powerpoint Presentation File Naming:
First name_Last name_First three words from the title of your presentation.pptx
Example: John_Smith_esophageal variceal bleed.pptx
Additional Media File Naming (only if you have videos/other files that cannot be embedded into the powerpoint presentation) - Please send additional files (video/image) files to firstname.lastname@example.org:
First name_Last name_First three words from the title of your presentation_slide number where the media is placed.extension
Example: John_Smith_esophageal variceal bleed_slide3.jpg
Evaluation of submissions for oral presentation will be based on quality, clarity, relevance and educational value for the audience. Do not forget to include the initial consultation and clinical workup, peri-operative management, and post-intervention follow-up (or reasons why follow-up is not available).
All authors whose submissions are accepted for oral presentation will receive an official invitation from the IR-in-Training Program Planning Committee to present their case during the SIR Annual Meeting Case Competition. Four cases will be selected for oral presentation. All applicants will be notified of their invitation for oral presentation or not, by January 6, 2017.
All authors/submissions not accepted for oral presentation will still be considered for online publication.
Please be advised that if you are selected as one of the four cases for oral presentation, you will be responsible to pay for your own registration to attend the Annual Scientific Meeting.
All SIR Members-in-Training can register for the Annual Scientific Meeting for a discounted rate as one of your membership benefits. If you are not currently a member of SIR, registration and annual dues information can be found here: https://sir.personifycloud.com/personifyebusiness/Membership/In-TrainingMemberJoin.aspx
* Contact the SIR membership department for membership information email@example.com.
The best-case winner and runner-ups will receive an award. The best-case winner will receive a $200 Visa Gift Card and a copy of the SIR 2018 Digital Video Library. The three runner-up winners will each received a copy of the SIR 2018 Digital Video Library.
Deadline for Submission: Monday, November 13th, 2016 by 5PM EST
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.