With Love Restaurateur
in Residence (RiR) Inquiry
Have you dreamed of opening your own restaurant, catering company or other food business? Do you cook a great National or Regional cuisine that’s hard – or impossible – to find in Syracuse? Do you walk into other restaurants and immediately start scrutinizing, making a mental list of what works – and what you’d do better? Do you know what it means to be ‘first one in, last one out’?
If so, read on…
Every 6 months With Love incubates a new Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) offering up their take on a National or Regional cuisine. Past incarnations have included the cuisines of Pakistan, Burma and (most recently) Savannah, GA. This is your chance to get a 360-view of the restaurant business while crafting and promoting your own brand.
Restaurants are hard. Restaurants fail (a lot). Many people think good cooking = a successful restaurant. But cooking is only the beginning. Here we train you how to manage every aspect of a food business, from managing a dining room to negotiating vendors, working the line to safely cooling food, costing out recipes to crafting your USP (unique selling proposition).
Here’s a few things to know before you apply
- The Entrepreneur in Residence will enroll in our Food Service Management (FSM) course.
- Residencies run 6 months each: January through June and July through December.
- Expect to be onsite Tuesdays through Fridays, a mix of day and night shifts.
- Expect classroom time (20%) and hands-on learning (80%)
- Expect to perform every role within a functioning restaurant – with an emphasis on working front of house waiting tables and eventually managing the dining room (so you can be in front of your guests, promoting your brand, shaping their experience & getting valuable feedback)
- Financial supports may include Financial Aid, part-time employment and/or stipend.
- Expect to share, teach and learn. This works best when viewed as a collaboration, sharing culture, best practices and common industry protocols.
Still interested? Good! An information session will be held on Friday, May 25. Representatives from With Love, SBDC and CenterState CEO will describe the program and wraparound business development supports. Fill out the form below and we'll let you know time and location.
After you attend the information session, we will reach out to schedule an interview. Interviewees should come prepared with a:
- Clear, brief description of their proposed food business
- Printed menu you’d envision doing at With Love. Take a look at our current menu for reference; you’ll want to include starters, mains – both meat and vegetarian – desserts and beverages.
- Basic business plan (1 page is fine, but it should speak to concept, financial needs and proposed timeline for opening.)
Candidates will be interviewed and evaluated on 7 criteria: Cuisine, Communication, Leadership, Availability, Time Management, Financial Awareness and Commitment. The Committee will decide on EIR by or before July 1. All candidates will be notified by email.
Want to learn more? Fill out the form below and we'll get right back to you!