This Youth Program Parent Agreement, Release, and Acknowledgement of Risk are executed by the parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian do hereby freely, voluntarily, and without duress, make the following representations and execute this release under the following terms.
1. Purpose This agreement delineates the terms, conditions, and rules of conduct regarding the participation of the Youth listed above (hereinafter referred to as ‘Youth’) in the Montana Conservation Corps Youth Service Expedition Program (hereinafter referred to as ‘MCC’).
2. Service Award High School Expedition Participants will receive a service award upon successful completion of the entire term of service. 4 Week Expedition and 2 Week Expedition Participants will receive different service award amounts based on their length of service. Middle School Expedition participants do not receive a service award.
3. Code of Conduct While serving with MCC, the Youth is expected to:
Show respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members.
Participate fully in all aspects of the program at the level of their ability.
Exhibit a high level of commitment and a positive attitude toward the organization, staff, and service work.
Display a strong work ethic and follow directions.
Direct concerns, problems, and suggestions to the appropriate MCC staff.
Be on Time.
Use appropriate language at all times. Wear appropriate footwear, clothing, and safety gear.
Avoid any activity that may physically or emotionally damage participants of MCC or others.
Cell phones, portable stereos/radios, MP3 players, DVD players and other similar devices will not be allowed while participating with MCC’s Youth programs. Crew leaders will be permitted to carry cell phones for emergency purposes or to communicate with MCC staff. Member’s cell phones or other electronic devices will be collected and returned only when the work day/week is over.
Violations of any of the below policies may be grounds for immediate suspension by staff with termination pending approval by Senior Program Staff. At no time may the Youth:
Engage in any activity that is illegal under local, state or federal law.
Engage in activities that pose a significant safety risk to others.
Consume, possess, or be under the influence of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products.
Consume, possess, or be under the influence of illegal drugs. This includes misuse or sharing of prescription drugs.
Engage in harassing or aggressive behavior. This includes verbal, sexual, racial and physical harassment.
Engage in fighting or threats of violence.
Possess or use firearms or weapons.
Participate in vandalism or theft.
4. Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk The Parent or guardian understands that the activities engaged in while volunteering with MCC may include activities that may be hazardous to the Youth, including, but not limited to trail building, construction, habitat enhancement, cleaning, loading, unloading, and transportation to and from work sites. As the person legally responsible for the Youth participant, I recognize that such volunteer activities involve certain risks and dangers, and that accidents are possible. In light of this knowledge, I undertake full responsibility for all harm that comes to any person for whom I am legally responsible as a result of being a Youth participant in MCC’s activities. Some (but not all) of the possible risks faced by participants include the following: intentional or careless acts of other parties; dangerous weather conditions; the use of vehicles; dangers associated with first-aid, emergency treatment, or other services rendered; and consumption of food or drink. With full knowledge of the risks inherent in such activities, I release and agree to hold MCC harmless from any and all liability for any accident or injuries from which any person for whom I am legally responsible, might suffer damages, to the fullest extent allowed by law.
5. I understand and acknowledge that the above list is not complete or exhaustive, and that other risks, known or unknown, identified or unidentified, may also result in injury, death, illness, disease, or damage to any person for whom I am legally responsible, or to my property.
6. I understand and acknowledge that when a minor participant attends an MCC activity or event with a parent or legal guardian, the minor participant shall be under the care, control, and supervision of the accompanying adult.
7. I agree to defend and hold MCC harmless against any claims, demands, liabilities, actions, suits, and proceedings of every kind, including the costs and expenses thereof, brought or filed against MCC arising out of my intentionally tortuous actions. In case such a claim should be brought or an action filed against MCC, I agree that MCC may employ an attorney of their own selection to appear and defend the action on behalf of MCC, and that I will bear the expense of such defense.
8. It is understood and agreed that MCC assumes no responsibility for the theft, loss, damage or disappearance of participants’ personal property. I agree that my personal property, or the personal property of the minor for whom I am guardian, is my sole responsibility, and I bear all risk of loss or damage.
9. Waiver and Release The activities the Youth engages in with MCC are inherently risky and may cause harm to the Youth including injury, illness or even death. Recognizing this, Youth and guardian do hereby release, to the fullest extent allowed by law, and forever discharge and hold harmless MCC, its staff and board, its successors, and assigns from any and all liability, claims and demands of whatever kind or nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from the Youth’s work with MCC. Youth and guardian understand that this release discharges MCC from any liability or claim that the Youth and guardian may have against MCC with respect to any bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death or property damage that may result from the Youth’s work for MCC. Youth and guardian also understand that MCC does not assume any responsibility for or obligation to provide financial assistance or other assistance, including but not limited to medical, health, or disability insurance, in the event of injury or illness.
11. Insurance The parent or guardian understands and acknowledges that MCC does not carry or maintain health, medical, or disability insurance coverage for the Youth.
12. It is agreed and understood by and between the parties that any legal dispute arising out of the Agreement is to be adjudicated under the laws of the State of Montana.
13. It is also agreed and understood by and between the parties that if any Court should vacate or strike any portion of this Agreement, such vacating or striking will be limited solely to the provision that is held invalid and will not affect any other portion of this Agreement.
14. I understand that this is the entire agreement between me and MCC, and it cannot be modified or changed in any way by the oral representations or statements of any employee or agent of MCC, or by me.
I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF A COPY OF THIS AGREEMENT. I ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS RELEASE WILL CONTINUE IN EFFECT ANY TIME MY CHILD PARTICIPATES IN AN MCC LED OR SPONSORED ACTIVITY. IF I DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT AND RELEASE AND THE EFFECT OF ITS PROVISIONS, I WILL SEEK APPROPRIATE ADVICE OR CLARIFICATION BEFORE I SIGN IT.