This is a proposal form for participation in Toxic Waste Face (TWF) and SOMArts' Avant-Drag and Radical Queer Performance Festival in May 2020.
Answering these questions and uploading your images will assist TWF in selecting performances for this year’s festival.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis and must be submitted by January 17 by 5pm PST. Please apply early in case of questions or technical difficulties. We will inform you as to the status of your proposal no later than Friday, February 14, 5pm PST. Please consider the following:
- Proposals must be for new work
- Applicants and collaborators (if any) must be 18+
- You are welcome to apply as an individual or as a small group, however each artist stipend is a flat fee per performance regardless of cast size.
- There is no overarching theme so feel liberated to consider work that is funny, sad, transgressive, contemplative, or conveys any other emotion or tonality; priority will be given to work that offers a fresh perspective.
- The festival will be supported by a professional A/V team and multi-media work is encouraged.
- The length of each performance is flexible, however we can only accommodate time-based work (rather than long-form, durational performance).
- This opportunity is for anyone within the LGBTQIA+ community, however priority will be given to performers currently residing within the Bay Area; out of town performers would be responsible for their own travel and accommodations.
- Per SOMArt’s lease with a city-owned building, we unfortunately cannot permit fire, loose glitter, bodily fluids, or smoke.
Festival: Friday, May 22 & Saturday, May 23, 2020*
Rehearsal/Installation: Sunday, May 17–Thursday, May 21, 2020 (by appointment)
Deinstallation (if applicable): Sunday, May 24, 2020
*Performances will occur once over the two-day festivalWe realize your idea may evolve, please answer these questions to the best of your ability. I
f you have questions about this form or festival, please contact the curators at firstname.lastname@example.org