California ChangeLawyers 3L Diversity Scholarship
Are you a diverse law student committed to a career in public interest and social justice? Bar Exam related costs add thousands of dollars to a law school graduate's debt. We want to support the brightest ChangeLawyers of tomorrow by eliminating the roadblocks that exists between you and success.
We believe that a state as diverse as California needs a justice system led by advocates of all backgrounds.
This is why we invest in bright, diverse scholars to ensure that they have the opportunity to become tomorrow’s legal changemakers. Because righting historical wrongs in our courtrooms, classrooms, and beyond will allow us to truly deliver the original American value— justice for all.
By supporting the brightest ChangeLawyers of tomorrow as they begin their pursuit of a legal career, we eliminate the roadblocks that exist between them and success.
Winners of this scholarship receive a $5,000 cash award.
*Diversity includes a broad array of backgrounds and life experiences, including students from groups or with skills or attributes that are underrepresented in the legal profession, and specifically including students from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds, particularly those that have overcome adversity.
Criteria, Instructions & Conditions:
The 2020 Application Deadline is Monday, January 27th, 2020. Scholarship applicants will be notified of decisions in March 2020.
Scholarship recipients must attend our April event in Northern CA (exact date TBD).
Scholarship recipients must attend at minimum, one co-sponsor event.
1. Candidate must be:
a. Graduating or having recently graduated from law school.
b. Taking the California Bar Exam in 2020.
2. Demonstrate and document commitment to social justice and public service and intent to pursue legal career in California after law school.
3. Demonstrate financial need.
4. Maintain at least a 2.2 GPA or equivalent on a 4.0 scale (or provide an explanation of extenuating circumstances if GPA is lower than 2.2).
5. Candidate must provide documentation of:
a. Candidate’s actual or anticipated graduation date.
b. Good ethical standing of Candidate while attending law school.
c. Candidate’s financial need.
6. Submit one signed letter of recommendation supporting Candidate’s commitment to public interest/social justice, and career goals.
7. Provide evidence of registration for the California bar exam in 2020.
8. Previous ChangeLawyers scholarship winners are eligible and encouraged to apply for the for the 3L Diversity Scholarship.
1. Important: The ChangeLawyers reserves the right to use information from winner's applications as part of its publicity of the 3L Diversity Scholarship and for general marketing efforts. Please note this as you write your essay and provide other information.
2. 3L Diversity Scholarship Recipients must:
- Demonstrate commitment to public service and social justice.
- Be willing to take a leadership role in fostering diversity among the next generation of law students through discrete volunteer engagements with the ChangeLawyers.
- Report back to the ChangeLawyers on the progress of both of these in 2020.
- Report bar results to ChangeLawyers.
- Attend ChangeLawyers scholarship event and co-sponsored event.