I understand that as a member of the Board of Directors of Community Action Network (CAN), I am a representative of the organization and have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that it does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of CAN, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
- I will interpret the organization's work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson.
- I will interpret our clients' needs, speak out for their interests, and on their behalf, hold the organization accountable.
- I will attend at least 75 percent of board meetings, committee meetings, and special events. I will inform the board in advance of any meetings than I cannot attend.
- I will excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will stay informed about what's going on in the organization. I will review outcomes and metrics created by CAN for evaluating its impact, and regularly measure its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
- I will partner with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out. As needed, I will serve on committees or task forces and take on special assignments.
- Each year, without having to be asked, I will make a financial contribution to the organization that is commensurate with my capacity.
- If I don't fulfill these commitments to the organization, I will expect the board chair to call me and discuss my responsibilities with me.