Guidance for completing your Expression of Interest
Please check whether we are the right funder for you before completing this form.
Are we the right funder for you?
- This form requires a few details about your organisation, your contact details and asks which of Esmée’s impact goals and priorities your work matches.
- You will also have 100 words to summarise what you are aiming to achieve and how you will make it happen with Esmée funding. This is meant to be short. We’ll use it, along with your organisation details and website, to judge whether your work is a potential match for our aims.
- Please note that you will not be able to save the form so if you’re not ready to complete your Expression of Interest, you will need to start again.
is difficult to get funding from Esmée. The vast majority of people who
apply for our funding are not supported.
We are choosing to focus our funding on work that we believe will deliver the greatest long-term impact and create change for the future. For our grant funding, this means we are making a smaller number of larger grants with a more strategic focus, and fewer short-term or small-scale grants.
means it will now be harder to get funding from Esmée.
Before continuing, please check if
we are the right funder for you.
What we don't support:
* We will identify new ideas to support which are at an earlier stage and would not get through our applicant quiz. We will contact organisations proactively to apply for this support.
with an annual turnover of less than £100,000 (as reflected in the latest set of accounts)*.
without at least three non-executive trustees or directors.
for less than £30,000.
- Social investments for less than £100,000 or more than £2m.
that is not legally charitable.
that does not have a direct benefit in the UK.
costs including building work, renovations, and equipment (grants only, we may
make social investments for these).
- Academic research
– unless it can demonstrate real potential for
with a clinical basis, including medical research, hospices, counselling and
therapy, arts therapy, education about and treatment for drug and alcohol
that is primarily the responsibility of statutory authorities.
promotion of religion.
What we are most likely to fund:
collaborations and ambitious partnerships which are delivering at scale and
involving or engaging a range of charity, public sector or corporate
- Work which makes connections across our aims: Our Natural World, A Fairer Future, and Creative, Confident Communities.
- Communities or people most affected being involved in campaigning or leading change.
- Work which uses a preventative approach.
- Work that has practical plans to achieve and sustain change over the long term.
- For social investments, the existing or potential ability to repay our investment.
- Alternative forms of investment and social investment in innovative models.
Applicants will need to show that:
- Their organisation is leading the way itself, or is part of a partnership or collaboration which is aiming for transformative change.
- The work is pioneering by breaking new ground, or using tried and tested models to push things forward in a new way.
- The work is ambitious and aiming to make a long-term impact. To be funded by Esmée, it's not enough to be keeping good things going, you need to be driving change for the future.