What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that fight poverty. Serve as an agent for change, living and working alongside community leaders to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions. You will serve in a nonprofit or local government agency gaining experience and leadership skills that will set you up for a life of service in the public or private sector.
Use your courage and creativity to address poverty in your hometown or another location of your choice. Help organizations carry out their mission through fundraising, grant writing, volunteer recruitment, and so much more.
A VISTA member's commitment to serve includes:
- 1-year term of full-time (40 hours/week) volunteer service at nonprofit agency
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $877.66
- Professional development training
- Regular mentorship & coaching from a nonprofit professional at your service site
- Health care coverage
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist with relocation expenses and childcare
- Interest paid on qualified federal student loans by the National Trust
- Members elect to receive either a cash stipend ($1,806) or the Segal Education Award ($6,895 applicable to student loans or future tuition) upon fulfillment of their service commitment
- Noncompetitive eligibility for federal jobs
For more information, view our general flyer or schedule a meeting with OneStar's AmeriCorps VISTA Leader here.