Teach for Romania is a
nationwide movement in pursuit of educational equity in Romania, part of the
international network Teach for All. The staff of Teach for Romania is
comprised of high potential professionals, who work relentlessly to transform
the society by being an active part of a movement in education.
To achieve this, Teach
for Romania attracts, recruits and trains exceptional college graduates and
professionals to work as full time teachers in underprivileged communities.
Teach for Romania trains and supports the future leaders who will pilot the
movement against educational inequity.
SUPPORT TEAM –
The Support team
focuses on a few key areas in the organization: the Leadership Summer Academy,
ongoing mentoring for teachers and development and student achievement impact /
results. The Support team at the Leadership Summer Academy works to
equip teachers with the knowledge, skills and beliefs they need in order to
lead their students to high achievements and an excellent education.
The knowledge, skills
and beliefs align to our leadership framework called Teaching As Leadership.
The Support team works to create assessments and year-long plans, create
performance management and tracker tools, collect and analyze student achievement
POSITION – Summary
You will manage,
support and mentor groups of 18-20 teachers,
and will be responsible for the development and growth of the young
professionals as teachers, helping them to lead their classroom to great
student achievement. You will break down the Teaching As Leadership model
and explain teaching practices and methods in an effective way. You should be
able to deal with conflicts and come up with proper resolutions, as well as
develop resilience as a vital skill in teachers.
We are really looking
for a person who will wear a few „hats” in this role:
· Leader - in inspiring people (having a vision, being
able to manage different changes, being determined to pursue his/her vision
despite any obstacle, keeping commitments, sharing best practices and
experiences with the teachers, demonstrating learning authonomy, leading by
· Coach - developing people (loving and caring deeply for
assigned teachers, building strong relationships, active listening,
understanding each teacher’s uniqueness profile and the need to differentiate
support, knowing how to give and receive effective feedback)
· Manager - producing results (setting clear expectations, goals
and timelines, holding teachers accountable - believing in teachers’ potential,
using performance management systems and evaluation tools, following up
teachers’ performance consistenly)
· Teacher - having a clear vision of what excellence in
education looks like, identifing key levers needed to improve a classroom,
knowing where to access content and other instructional knowledge
· Mentor – sharing experience ( guiding teachers to better
understand their role and to maintain their focus on childrens’ needs, helping
participants to reflect on the meaning of this experience for themselves and
their long-term leadership)
As tutor coordinator
you will grow both personally and professionally and take part in various
training / coaching sessions, conferences and events (with Teach for Romania and
within the global Teach for All network) and you will be provided with best
possible support to generate expected impact. You have to demonstrate
leadership and achievement results. We expect you to embrace the opportunity to
work in a fast-paced and dynamic start-up environment.
This is a full time position, based in Iasi/Bucuresti.
RESPONSIBILITIES (~80% of time)
· To impact student achievement. As tutor, your
mindset, knowledge and beliefs will impact those of the teachers you are
leading, which would in turn impact (and positively affect) those of the
students, thus leading to significant student achievement and transformation.
· To build relationships with communities.
Develop some of these relationships with schools, school leaders, community
members, etc., particularly with the marginalized groups.
· To observe the instructional strategies used
by our teachers and use observations to provide them with guidance.
· To guide our teachers to set and reach
ambitious student achievement goals, through various mechanisms (group or
individual debrief sessions and coaching and mentoring sessions).
· To connect teachers with resources and develop
solutions to address their instructional challenges.
· To develop knowledge and skills of best
teaching practices through frequent documentation and interaction with the Support
· To contribute in building relationships with
partner schools with the aim of increasing stakeholder satisfaction and
facilitating the community impact.
· To lead and come up with resolutions in case
of communication issues between our teachers / partner schools / other teachers
/ parents / extended communities.
· To provide input and feedback to the teachers
and Teach for Romania.
· To support teachers as they implement their
community/school development projects.
· To evaluate and assess (within our performance
management systems) the assigned teachers.
· To have the ability to build supportive and
professional relationships with teachers and motivate them to develop their own
ADDITIONAL RESPOSIBILITIES (~20% of the time)
· To contribute to cross-functional and
team-wide priorities on an occasional basis, when needed.
· To provide support and guidance in the
integration and teacher qualification process (titularizare process).
· To initiate meetings / relationships with
potential partner organisations.
· To find ambassadors / supporters through our
campus and young professional networks.
· To help the Marketing team with creative ideas
on developing specific materials around ongoing and future projects.
are looking for someone with:
· English Proficency minimum level B
· Experience with budget management.
· A strong „Self-Reflection” and „Critical
· A strong ‘Sense of Possibility and Empathy’.
· Willingness to learn.
· Excellent time management and organizational
· Exceptional people management skills. ;
(mentoring&coaching skills exceptional communication skills)
· A team player;
· Fit with Teach for Romania’s vision, mission,
· MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
Experience required for this role:
· 2 years or more of working experience in primary
· Experience working closely with low-income
· Classroom management and instructional
QUALIFICATIONS - Required
· Graduate / Post graduate.
It would be a plus:
· T-o-T certificate preferred
· Driving licence category B
· Previous management experience
· Strategic thinking.