The PRI is developing a new collaborative stewardship initiative focused on human rights. This will be launched at the beginning of 2022. To support this, the PRI is looking to form a new advisory committee.
The objective of the initiative will be to maximise investors’ collective contribution to the goal of global respect for human rights. This initiative will primarily seek change through use of investors’ influence over portfolio companies. Investors will focus on companies’: adoption of the UN Guiding Principles (UNGPs); the level of alignment of their political engagement activities with human rights responsibilities; and their progress on specific human rights issues, where actual or potential negative outcomes for people are most severe.
This advisory committee will be made up of PRI signatory representatives with strong experience and knowledge of human rights and stewardship. The group will be responsible for supporting and advising on the collaborative stewardship initiative on human rights. Specific responsibilities of the committee will include:
- acting as a lead investor for at least one company in the engagement (when the initiative is launched);
- providing advice and insights to the PRI on the development and direction of the initiative;
- supporting the PRI in the selection of priority companies and sectors for inclusion in the engagement;
- providing input and advice to the PRI on improvements to the process by which it facilitates the initiative; and
- supporting the PRI in the development of a possible investor engagement on public policy in future years.
Committee members are expected to participate
in advisory committee meetings, of between one to two hours duration, approximately every 2-4
months and occasional ad hoc meetings. In between meetings, committee members will also be occasionally required
to provide guidance or feedback on PRI outputs such as publications.
The PRI's official rules for advisory committees are available on the PRI website.