About the Program:
The Tech Flex Leaders
(TFL) Program is an immersive out-of-school time program for juniors and seniors enrolled in a New York City or Los Angeles high school. This free
program engages students interested in technology through:
- Weekly technical training sessions taught by industry experts
- Intersectional professional development sessions designed to prepare students to confidently pursue degrees and careers in technology
- Career days and mentorship opportunities with representatives from leading technology companies
- The Tech Flex Leaders program meets once a week for 9 months starting the week of September 12th. Cohort options are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday OR Thursday from 4:30 - 6:30 PM.
- Student orientation will take place in-person the week of September 12th.
- Technical sessions begin the week of September 19th. Most sessions will take place via Zoom. Final project Build Days, mandatory Demo Days and Graduations will be held in-person.
- During the first semester, students will learn how to code through web development, mastering HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap. The semester will culminate in a Demo Day Competition where top teams from all cohorts will present their final web projects to a panel of judges.
- During the second semester, students will choose a tech track to pursue (advanced web development, UX design, digital marketing, product management, or data science), gaining an additional technology skillset they can leverage when pursuing future tech opportunities.
- After successful completion of the Fall and Spring semesters, Tech Flex Leaders will work with our team to obtain a paid summer tech internship within our robust employer partner network. This summer program is the crucial final component of the TFL model, set up to kickstart our students' careers in the field of technology.
Some additional details:
- Students will earn a $1,000 stipend for their participation in the program.
- Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible for a paid summer technology internship within AOT's employer network.
No prior experience required. Access to laptop, desktop, and/or iPad recommended, but not required.
PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, 7/31/22 at 11:59 PM EST
FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, 8/21/22 at 11:59 PM EST
Let's Make Sure You're Eligible to Apply!
To apply for the Tech Flex Leaders program, applicants must meet certain eligibility requirements. Before moving forward, please make sure you meet the following criteria:
- You live in New York City and are a rising junior or senior (ages 15-19) and currently attending a New York City (all boroughs) public high school
- You are available to commit time to complete the entire program. (1 day/week from September 2022 to May 2023)
Note that AOT prioritizes candidates who:
- Self-identify as Hispanic / Latinx
- Self-identify as African American / Black
- Self-identify as females and/or girls and/or non-binary
- Self-identify as LGBTQIA+
- Attend a NYC high school that meets our Economic Needs Index
All set? Let's begin!