Dr. Donald Rix was one of British Columbia's leaders in the field of life science. He was a community volunteer, philanthropist, angel investor, and mentor to countless young entrepreneurs. He was an enthusiastic supporter of youth, education, and entrepreneurship. Dr. Rix was inducted into the Business Laureates of British Columbia Hall of Fame in 2006 and was an inaugural contributor to the building of the Hall of Fame wall in the Convention Centre.
Through an endowment fund created by Dr. Rix, JA British Columbia offers an annual scholarship to a self-identifying Indigenous OR rural (outside Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley and Greater Victoria) OR new immigrant student (born outside Canada) Junior Achiever who has demonstrated significant growth in business skills, learning skills, leadership skills and/or entrepreneurial skills.
The winning student will receive a $2,500 scholarship towards post-secondary education.
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- Be a Grade 10, 11 or 12 Indigenous (self-identifying) OR rural (all students living outside Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley and Greater Victoria) OR immigrant student (born outside of Canada)
- Have participated in JA Company Program, JA Be Entrepreneurial or JA Titan (prior to 2020) program
- Submit reference letters that comment on your potential as a future business professional, leader or entrepreneur as well as any particular challenges you may have encountered, particularly as a rural, Indigenous or immigrant student, and how you have dealt with these challenges. For Indigenous applicants, it is recommended you obtain a letter from an Indigenous organization.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Complete the online application in full: This includes submitting two letters of recommendation from a teacher (preferably from the applicant’s JA teacher, counsellor, or post-secondary professor/ instructor); an updated resume; & a media consent form
- Display proficient written and oral communication skills
- Provide a signed statement indicating how the funds will be used before they are released by JABC
- Have not received this award previously