Breakout Session Format
Thank you for your willingness to participate in this conference. It would be great if you could run one of the Breakout sessions by leading a discussion on what you do, how you got into it, what you did to get there and then have participants share what they are doing and what their ambitions are. There will be roughly 20 participants in the group. The breakout session is roughly 45 min and you can participate in one session or as many as two. We are trying to get as much participation as possible, so there will be a diverse bunch of sessions. Mahalo nui loa!
Breakout sessions will be 45 minutes in groups of 20 students lead by 1 scientist and 1 educator
Leaders, can you please start off by talking about the career you have chosen:
● Start with the type of research you do
● How you were inspired to make this career choice
● What steps you took to get there
● Challenges you needed to overcome or address
● Talk about some discoveries and a fun story involving your research.
Then students will be asked to talk about their work, guided by questions from both your, the scientist, and an educator who will be paired with you, as this is essential information for educators
● talk about the projects they have worked on
● How they went about their investigations
● Challenges they needed to overcome or address
● What future plans they have with this research or careers
● Open up the floor to discuss an issue that the scientist is comfortable addressing