Hiawatha Academies is a growing network of high-performing, K-12 open enrollment public charter schools. We are driven by our mission that, “All Hiawatha Academies scholars will be empowered with the knowledge, character, and leadership skills to graduate from college and serve the common good.”
We have demonstrated success in student achievement, consistently recognized by the Star Tribune as Beating the Odds Schools. Hiawatha Academies is proof of what happens when we give every child the opportunities they deserve.
Hiawatha Leadership Academy-Northrop (HLA-Northrop) is a results-driven elementary school that is part of the growing Hiawatha Academies charter school network. Hiawatha Academies opened HLA-Northrop, its second elementary school, in the fall of 2013. HLA-Northrop currently serves Kindergarten through third grade scholars and will grow a grade a year until it serves students in grades K-4.
While there are no openings for this position for the 2017-2018 school year, we are accepting applications for potential future openings.
Every HLA-Northrop teacher has the opportunity to join a team of motivated, mission-driven teammates who are committed to taking responsibility for their students’ learning. HLA-Northrop teachers are charged with providing a rigorous, fast-paced, and highly structured learning environment for their scholars. Our core subjects include literacy, writing, math, and global studies.
Candidates that are selected for an interview will receive additional information regarding the specific roles and responsibilities.
Prove the Possible
• Student success is our number one focus
• Ensure high standards for student behavior, performance, and attendance
• Deliver well-planned, rigorous, and meaningful lessons
• Use data to inform instruction
• Exhibit a high degree of professionalism in all elements of this position
• Serve as a positive force committed to our mission
Perform other duties as required and assigned
• Teachers must demonstrate knowledge and support of Hiawatha Academies’ mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
Core Value and Beliefs
All Hiawatha Staff must demonstrate a passionate belief in and commitment to the following core values:
1) Children are at the center of everything we do.
2) Our mission requires bold thought and action.
3) We choose optimism.
4) We push ourselves to improve.
5) We are stronger together.
6) We create fun and a little weirdness.
To honor the humanity of all people, we actively disrupt systemic inequity in pursuit of an equitable world. To learn more about our equity vision, click here.
Hiawatha Employment Logistics
Hiawatha Leadership Academy – Northrop students’ school day is from 7:25am-3:00pm, Monday-Thursday and 7:25am-1:15pm on Friday.
Teachers must be present from 7:00am-3:15pm, Monday-Friday.
Professional development sessions are held each Friday from 1:40pm-3:15pm.
All Hiawatha Staff are expected to attend and participate in all Family Events at the school.
Skills & Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree
• A track record of measurable success with students
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build trust with colleagues, students, and families
• Must have a growth mindset
• Awareness of self and the ability to understand, appreciate, and interact within different cultural contexts
• Prospective applicants must demonstrate a clear record of achieving significant gains with their students and have a strong belief that they can help close the opportunity gap for all
• A minimum of two years teaching in a high-need school with demonstrated student results in a K-3 classroom
• Minnesota teacher certification
• Bilingual or multilingual
• Experience working with students of color or students growing up in low-income households
Salary for this position is competitive and based on prior experience. Hiawatha offers a collaborative and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, life, and retirement.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity